Friday, March 30, 2012

everyone needs a {Lacey}...

I have a cousin, Lacey, who is just 23 days older than me.  Growing up I considered her my unofficial older twin, even though we are quite different.  We have always been good friends, but we don't get to see each other very often.  We do chat on the phone now and again, and it's great because we always pick up right where we left off.

She was diagnosed a few years ago with MS, and is a beacon of awesomeness in my opinion  :)  During this journey of figuring out what was going on with Bryan, she has been there, ever supportive.

Today we were talking, and it just felt so so good to be understood.  She knew exactly what I was talking about when I explained my pendulum of emotions.  She understood how Bryan feels...the good and the sad, and she reminded me that these emotions are normal and temporary. She understood the feelings of isolation from having well-meaning people avoid you because your situation makes them uncomfortable (not that I can blame them...I don't know what I would say to us either ;)).   She understood the weariness that comes from being approached about thousands of theories and treatments, while knowing in the quiet of your heart that not trying every little trick and tonic is not a lack of faith, but rather an exercise of faith in your own personal revelation.

She reminded me today something that I think deep down I know, but I need to really implement in my life, and that is to live more in the present.  The future can be a big, scary unknown, and, in cases such as these,  there is very little you can do about it.  But today is a gift and should be treated as such.

I'm so grateful for all of the Laceys in my life, for all of the friends and family that continue to love and support us through all of this crazy stuff we find ourselves entrenched in.  I'm grateful for things as they are.  I'm grateful for now.  And I'm looking forward to learning how to better live in the moment.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tiffany (and Bryan) I think you are amazing! I'm so glad to be your friends. And no matter how much weird, hard, or sad stuff happens to either you or me, you will not get off the hook from being in my life! ;) Love you!

Anonymous said...

Whoops! I forgot I have to sign my comments because dumb blogger doesn't like me. That was from me - Laura. :)

Unknown said...

You have such a great perspective on everything and I love the way you express your thoughts in words. You are a great example and Bryan is lucky to have you by his side in this crazy journey called mortality (and vice versa). I hope you are able to 'carpe diem' as much as possible with your beautiful brood of little blessings and that you are both able to find peace around every corner you turn (or are forced to turn)! *hugs*

Jenni said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jenni said...

Lacey is pretty awesome! But I also have to say "everyone needs a {Tiffany}" :)

Jenni said...

I have no idea why it says I deleted a comment....weird! :)

cskelton said...

That is such good advice. We could all heed it. Thoughts seem to always progress in a 'natural' order. The Spirit will guide those thoughts...ever ongoing process.