A week or so ago, I was reading a friend's blog post on what makes her happy. She, in turn, asked her readers where their joys came from, the only rule was you couldn't say your kids, the gospel or your husband. Her point wasn't that those things aren't important, but she was trying to get to the core of what makes you happy. I came up with some little moments that made me happy, but when it came right down to it, my joys all stemmed from one of those three things. I took a little pride in knowing I had evolved from my teenager mentality somewhat so I wasn't always thinking about me.
Then, one lady made a comment about how sad it was that some women had no identities away from their husbands and their children. She said, speaking of when kids are grown and leave the nest, "And then what? What do we do with our time when they don’t need so much of our time? Those moms that have lost themselves, don’t know what to do with themselves." I felt a little abashed, even ashamed that I had become one of these "lost" women. I thought about it a lot over the next few days. I pondered it, and I wondered where the balance was...how can you truly throw yourself into being a "mother who knows" through sacrifice and true charity for your husband and children and not misplace that person you started off as prior to becoming a wife and mother. Aren't you supposed to lose yourself to a point? But yet, it's not bad to look nice, and be successful.
I still don't have those answers, obviously. And I don't know what I will do or what will keep me busy when my children are all gone, but for now, I don't feel like I need to know. I do know that for me, I am finding peace in my choices today. Sure, the audible praise of the world and the vigor that comes from being on top of your game, whatever that game may be is not only appealing, but intoxicating. There's not too much that is intoxicating about boogers and barf on your shoulder by 9 am :) And if you are like me, praise is sometimes hard to come by in the daily grime. But for me, it's okay. It's okay that I only get my hair done once a year if I am lucky. It's okay that the only alone time I get is the occasional trip to the grocery store to get a gallon of milk. As I think about what Heavenly Father is trying to teach me, I think the time will come when I will have the opportunity to be and look amazing, and maybe even accomplish something fantastic outside the walls of my own home, but that time isn't now.
My friend posted this yesterday, and even though it's a little long, it helped validate my feelings a little. Thanks Kathryn! :)
9 comments:
Well said Tiff! I think that is one of the many reasons we are commanded to have children. It's because the process is as much for US to learn and serve and grow as it is for THEM. I think back before I was a wife and mom and there wasn't much value in my life. It was all about me and I really didn't "get it". I learn new things everyday as a wife and mother that get me closer to the woman I am convinced I am meant to be someday... closer to God.
I'm glad you liked the video. I get so wrapped up in getting things done and over with and it is good for me to remember someday my kids will be gone and I need to enjoy everyday, every moment I have with them. Even with puke on my shoulder. haha;)
I don't know that lady but I think that is garbage! A good mom looses herself in her family because that is what is important!!! I think a mom looks amazing when she has spit up on her shirt and is wearing shoes she has had for five years so that her kids can have cool shoes that light up. You get the idea. You are doing what is right. Our kids wont be gone when they move out, they will always be there and we will still be trying to make them happy and their kids happy because then we will have grandkids which will increase our happiness a million fold. Happiness that comes from family doesn't go away. It never will. You are right, that lady was wrong. :) Mom's are always right and they always win! haha! ok, maybe not always but you get the idea. :)
That was me by the way. Blogger is stupid sometimes...
I have to agree with Alex, or Danelle, whichever it was. I'm constantly thinking wondering what I can do for all you guys, that's what my life is. What is Heavenly Father's greatest reward? What does He do to make things worthwhile? What mark have I made in this world, if my children can call me a righteous mother, that is the highest compliment, the highest reward I can receive. That's the mark I strive for.
Actually, that's really what the woman in the video said, right. (referring to my previous comment)
When my nest is empty I know I won't have any problems finding things to occupy my time. A lot of it will probably still revolve around the kids and their kids but that's the priority I will choose. I'm not worried about who I am when kids and husband are taken out of the picture. Even if they all disappeared tomorrow, they have left a permanent mark and I will NEVER be a pre marriage and children me. She doesn't exist any longer. She has been permanently altered and it is as it should be. I was watching the video and I realized that my oldest only has 4 more years with us before he's off to do his thing in the great big world. 4 YEARS! That just seems like such a short period of time. Guess I need to make the best of them.
I love your post! It is OK to be wrapped up in our kids because they are not going to need us forever and then when the empty nest comes I think you just figure out what will come next, probably grandkids! You will never have a problem finding things to keep you busy, you are an amazing person, an amazing wife and an amazing mom!
Ok, I just balled like a baby watching that video! I too am one of those "lost" mothers now that all of the kids are in school and I just enrolled Katrina in Jr. High and I am finding myself alone during the day. Thanks for the reminder that it is all worth it to be a stay at home mom and put your kids and their needs first.
I just need to thank you for your post. I was having a similar conversation with my mother just the other day. Sometimes I feel like I've lost a portion of my identity by choosing not to go back to work and to dedicate all my time to my little girl. I miss that part of me, and I miss feeling like I was a part of something bigger than just what happens in my own home. And on those days when I don't get my hair combed, or my dishes done, I have to remind myself of all the little moments I spent with Emslee. And I have to remind myself that THAT is what is most important.
Thank you for helping to validate my feelings. It's very reassuring to know I'm not the only one who feels a little "lost," yet in being lost, feels found.
Post a Comment