
Our upstairs tenants moved out last week while we were gone. I have learned a lot from these guys, and I hope they enjoy their new place. I knew when they left, that I'd have some cleaning to do, because that's just how it is. Today marks the third day I will have spent over there cleaning and scrubbing. But it hasn't been all bad (it's been bad though, don't get me wrong)...
Here's my Top 10 Things I've Learned and Have Become Grateful for Over the Past 3 Days
- Husbands are invaluable. Bryan has taken the kids so I haven't had to do this while toting 4 needy bored children around...THANK YOU!
- It has given me a lot of quiet time to think and ponder.
- When I was having too much time to think and ponder, Bryan suggested I bring the radio and listen to some of his talks he has compiled. So I got to learn at the feet of Elder and Sister Holland, Elder Hinckley, Elder Bednar, and Elder Maxwell yesterday. I was proud of myself a bit because I actually understood most of what Elder Maxwell said. It's hard to dissect his quotations, but this one was so full of imagery, I had to share. "Moreover, secular education wisely does not pretend to give us answers to the great “Why?” questions—any more than you and I would read a telephone directory in search of a plot." I love how when he tells a joke, it takes a minute for people to laugh as they are trying to process what it was he said. :)
- Sometimes when I'm pregnant, I tend to get a bit lazy when it comes to, well, everything. So it has felt very good to accomplish something that for me was hard.
- I felt like this experience with these tenants has been kind of like homework from Heavenly Father. I tell Him, "I've learned! I'm smart now! Can I move on to the next lesson now???" He answers, "Let's see if you have learned." Though in the first few hours of this assignment, I knew I was failing miserably, I feel like I pulled it together a bit more for the middle, and I'm hoping I'll hang in there for the end. I know I handled things better this time than I would have a year ago. Progression always makes me happy. I can't take credit for the part I did well on. I struggled for several hours, whereas, Bryan struggled for a few minutes, pulled it together, then pulled me along. He's good like that.
- I learned that not doing deep cleaning for six months can reak havoc on a toilet. Thank goodness for pumice stones.
- Heavenly Father sometimes gives you little blessings to get you through uncomfortable situations. While I was working at the house, I found out some info about some good friends that I otherwise would not have known, and I was able to do something about it. It was just the boost I needed to get me through the nasty bathroom.
- When an outlet is cracked in half, don't try and unplug the plug from it. ZAP!
- Sometimes, we are supposed to be bold and "slay Laban" which goes against our natures and desires. Sometimes, we are supposed to suffer as Joseph Smith in humble silence which can feel almost impossible when surrounded by injustice. Learning to submit our will...painful, but good.
- Some people, namely me, are not meant to be landlords :)
2 comments:
Wow Tiff, you are amazing. Had I ever been placed in the same situation with my tenants, I can guarantee I would not have handled it with such grace and poise. We have been so blessed to have you as our landlord. I'm sad to see it come to an end. :(
We're sad too...you guys have been our silver lining through all this. At least you won't be TOO far away :)
Post a Comment