Monday, August 16, 2010

Stake Conference

This weekend was our semi-annual stake conference (a group of congregations in our church that meet together for instruction).  In the days leading up to the conference, we knew one of the things that would be happening is we would be getting a new stake presidency, and our leaders encouraged us to prayerfully prepare for the change so we could all feel peace about our new leaders.  It was a very tender experience for me to prepare for the change with Bryan.

Saturday evening, we went to the adult session (yes, believe it or not, we actually got babysitters!).  One of my friends was one of the first speakers, but her talk could have been given in general conference...it was amazing.  It was one of the most powerful talks I have ever heard.  In fact, Elder Quentin L. Cook who was the presiding authority, actually said he was going to work a portion of her talk into his General Conference address in a couple of months.  She talked about making room for the most important things in our life, and cutting out some of the clutter.  How, with the condition of the values the world has to offer, how we can no longer afford to buoy our children up in our homes with family prayer, family scripture study, and family home evening.  I'm going to see if she will send me a copy of it, because it's one I want to read again.

There were many many other wonderful talks, including Elder Cook's.  I felt so blessed to have been able to be there. The Spirit was very strong.

Sunday's Conference brought the change to our Stake Presidency.  I didn't know two of the men put in, but the first counselor was actually our current bishop, which means we will be getting a new bishop soon.  In spite of not knowing the other two men, I had a definite feeling of peace and confirmation that the Lord was behind the decision about who would be leading our stake.  Bryan and I were talking after, wouldn't it be great if we could have the same kind of feelings in our jobs, and politics?!  Someday.... :)

Elder Cook talked about a lot of things, but the things that really jumped out to me in a profound way was what he said about the Atonement.  I have always known and understood (on a basic level I am sure) that my Savior suffered for my sins, my weaknesses, and even my pain.  But something he said put it in a new light.  He said the Savior suffered for all of the unfairnesses we experience.  He listed some, the second being health problems.  I didn't hear the rest of the list.  He actually called it unfair.  I don't know why hearing that word helped so much, but it did :)  Maybe it was just my own personal little witness that Heavenly Father hasn't in fact, forgotten about Bryan and I, and we may yet have some purpose or be of some use to Him.  It was a wonderful feeling for both of us.

I have been reading Camilla Kimball's biography (she is the wife of one of the former prophets/presidents of our church).  I seriously cannot wait to meet this woman someday.  As another woman whom I revere who dealt with illness after illness in her husband and had to watch helplessly from the sidelines, I'm trying to learn from her.  Hers is a powerful story.

So, here I am, at the beginning of another week, the last week before school officially starts.  Where did my summer go???  I am going to miss my little family.

3 comments:

Christy said...

Nice new look!

I think our summers may be hiding out in the same spot. It is CRAZY how quickly is seemed to have passed. School starts for us the day after tomorrow. It's ABSOLUTELY INSANE!

I would love to read that talk that your friend gave, as well. So, keep me in mind if you ever get your hands on it.

We love you guys!

emily and jared larsen said...

Hey, I would love to read your friends talk also. Especially the part about buoying up our children with more than FHE, scriptures and prayer.
School starting was sad...Jarom starts the beginning of Aug. and every year, I feel jipped out of summer with him. It's hard to have them go back.
But on the positive side of things, I love autumn time and all that entails with family and the season.

cskelton said...

I loved it when Elder Cook mentioned the Atonement covers unfairness. I actually thought of MANY things in the lives of others, and that really gave my heart a lift.