A few months ago, I was at the copy store with all 4 kids, and very pregnant. The kids were, shall we say, being kids. Not horrible, but definitely not the Brady Bunch picture of perfection I prefer when venturing into public. There was a girl at the counter helping me, probably in her mid-twenties. She was being very nice, and even kind enough to ignore the craziness that was my children while she helped me. While I was assembling my copies, I overheard her talking to her friend/co-worker about how much she was dreading Sacrament Meeting on Sunday (it happened to be Mother's Day). I didn't catch everything but she talked about how people are generally insensitive and constantly pushing/questioning her and her husband why they don't have kids yet, and went on to say how difficult not being able to have children was.
I was heartbroken, and I felt utterly guilty. Here I was, four kids in tow with another on the way, looking and feeling quite frazzled. The sight of my children was probably painful for her...I felt awful. I wanted to go up and give her a hug, but that would have tipped her off that not only was I evesdropping, but if I misunderstood, how awkward! So I quickly talked myself out of it and went about my life.
Months past, and I couldn't stop thinking about her. Finally, a couple of weeks ago, I couldn't stand it anymore, so I wrote her an anonymous letter (I am one of the biggest chickens you will ever meet). I just told her how much I appreciated her kindness, and how I was sorry she was having this trial. It was a little more eloquent than that, but you get the idea. I took it in, and left it with one of the other workers with strict instructions not to rat me out, and then I left.
Which brings me to yesterday. Yesterday was just yucky for some reason. Our van was having issues...it took me over a half hour to get from our friend's house in South Bountiful to downtown Bountiful...that should maybe be a 5 minute trip because the van kept dying. In the middle of a two way road with people honking, in an intersection...people honking. Dying, dying, dying. Five minutes into that lovely trip, Asher started one of his infamous tantrums, a really loud one. So by the time I reached the copy store, I was on the brink of emotional collapse. I walked in (with inconsolable Asher) with all the kids and waited my turn. This girl was the one to help me. By the time I had finished, I was just a little weepy and feeling sorry for myself. It was very PMS-like except that I don't have a period while I'm nursing, so who knows. She smiled, and made a big fuss about how cute my Christmas letter was (appealing to my vanity always seems to lighten my mood). Then she asked how many kids I had, and pulled out 5 pieces of candy and wished me a Merry Christmas. I was totally bawling by this point, and told her thank you. The dark clouds that were surrounding my aura parted, and I was lifted by this small act of kindness. Maybe she knew I wrote the letter...I hope not. But in any case, here was a person whom I felt so compelled to "help," and yet look at how much more she helped me.
The day started out where I could relate with Alfalfa when he said "Then the clouds opened up and God said, 'I hate you Alfalfa!'"
But when I left that copy store, I had experienced this quote from President Kimball, “God does notice us, and He watches over us. But it is usually through another person that he meets our needs.”
6 comments:
Wow! What a sweet experience.
And then there was me...Miss Clueless. I wish I'd of just picked up my kids and saved you from all of that misery. So sorry. I had no idea you were having van issues. Thank goodness for kind angels where we least expect them.
neither did I until I started driving, so NO WORRIES! I am glad it all happened :)
What a sweet story, I LOVE the Alfalfa quote, and believe me, you don't need to feel guilty for your 5 beautiful children. Everyone has their own specific trials and for good reason. The world is an infinitly better place because of your family. I hope your van decides to be good for Christmas!
-Laura
Car issues are the worst!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so so sorry!!
Gotta love those moments in life that make us appreciate the little things. Just remember that the kids will one day have their own kids and (like my mom reminds me daily) will have kids just like them.
Post a Comment