Thursday, May 14, 2009

My blog, my friend...

Do you ever write on your blog just to have someone to talk to? I admit it, I do. Mainly because, with 4 kids, phone conversations become increasingly difficult because it turns into a green light for kids to take advantage of the lack of supervision. Drop in visits happen next to never because if you have a friend, and you bring your 4 kids to their house, they may not want to be your friend anymore. I am great at email, but I don't think a lot of people feel the same way. And I think I feel less guilty spewing my life all over the pages of a blog people choose to visit, rather than verbally dumping the same issues on someone in person, as that individual may not have known what they were getting themselves into when they asked those three magic words..."how are you?"

So thus, I blog. Sometimes about something, most other times about nothing. Kathleen Kelly from You've Got Mail says it best, "I pretend we are the oldest and dearest of friends, in the middle of a conversation....All of these nothings have meant so much more to me than so many somethings."

In light of Elder Bednar's talk last week, I am feeling a bit torn as to what to do. On particularly hard days, I find myself checking my email, facebook, and blog several times a day, hoping for a response, acknowledgement, or feedback. Adult interaction. I do not want to fall into that same category of people whom he describes when he said,
Sadly, some young men and women in the Church today ignore “things as they really are” and neglect eternal relationships for digital distractions, diversions, and detours that have no lasting value. My heart aches when a young couple—sealed together in the house of the Lord for time and for all eternity by the power of the holy priesthood—experiences marital difficulties because of the addicting effect of excessive video gaming or online socializing. A young man or woman may waste countless hours, postpone or forfeit vocational or academic achievement, and ultimately sacrifice cherished human relationships because of mind- and spirit-numbing video and online games. As the Lord declared, “Wherefore, I give unto them a commandment … : Thou shalt not idle away thy time, neither shalt thou bury thy talent that it may not be known” (D&C 60:13).
As I weigh these two sides, I know I should be spending less time on my computer, but shamefully, I don't know if I am willing to give up or at least scale down on this sanity saver. There are days when a two sentence comment on my blog can be the difference between a good day and something else.

Alas, I have a house to paint, sheds to tear down, a patio to roof, a sprinkling system to finish, laundry to do, children to play with, and papers to file...so many papers to file! So let the daunting task of trying to be perfect begin....again :)

12 comments:

Juannaelmi said...

I am so right there with you! I haven't been able to listen to his whole talk yet, but that particular quote I heard at least three times. I use the computer for my sanity levels and I am not sure how much I really want to scale back. Let me know if you figure anything out.

Mrs. B. Roth said...

I think I'd be in a mental hospital by now if I hadn't started blogging a few years ago. I am NOT exaggerating. It's rough, this motherhood in modern days. Unless one is very outgoing and has no qualms about inturpting others' time or has plenty of family they LIKE close by, the home is NOT a temple, it's a freaking prison, the children are the wardens (cruel and ungrateful), and there is just no end.

I love your blog, you know I do. We don't talk directly; our kids were friends once, a long time ago. The way our lives are now, we have oodles in common and we share our good times and bad on the blogs, taking turns buoying each other up and laughing and sharing secret strategies.

It is like reading someone's journal, but not someone dead and gone, someone alive, who we can cheer on.

Facebook, maybe that's a silly timesucker, but the blogs are great. The blog is my friend and the readers, too.

chrisandlaura96 said...

Just knowing you and the amount of incredible things you accomplish in one day, each and every day, I don't think you have anything to worry about! I agree that there is a line you have to draw and it's different for every person, but don't be too hard on yourself. I like hearing about what's going on in your life through your blog and facebook. I think they are both great tools to use in staying close to people that it would be hard to be as close to without.
-Laura

Aislinn said...

you and I - we are kindred spirits! And judging by the comments left thus far- you have several kindred spirits - several people who see the world as you do - several who feel your pain and share in it with you. I've heard the talk you referenced and I remember thinking the same thing - but on the flip side do you take time for your family - for your spouse? Then you are doing what needs to be done - it's when you put the digital world ahead of those needful things - that's when you are walking thin ice! I think you're doing great - and if you write a sentence or two -here and there - so be it - it will give your kids something to look back on and say "wow, she was having a day!" ;) LOVE YA!

Melissa said...

hi tiffany,
this is kathryn's sister and this post hit home today because i have been contemplating lately how much time i am spending on the computer...to much! my daughter cries every time i sit down in front of it, hmmmm ironic? It is a hard balance to find! I will be working on finding it... probably forever.
melissa

Diana said...

perfect shmerfect... you are perfect just as you are! Even your mistakes, you make them perfectly! Ever since renouncing my quest for perfection, I've been much happier! I'll try to leave more comments for you, for I understand how awesome they make you feel. i admit to being a comment whore... I just can't get enough!

Amy said...

I'm so selfish Tiffany.I read your blog practically everyday but it's few and far between that I actually comment. You on the other hand are so good at it and I appreciate it. I think Facebook is a time sucker and know friends that gave it up for lent. I've contemplated at times to check it only once every other day. Seriously, nothing is that important - especially on Facebook! But blogging is different - it is an outlet - a real way to connect. Don't give it up! I actually consider it my "journaling' for the day and feel that it's what the Lord would want - is that rationalization?

Maria said...

Um...ditto and amen to all the comments left already. I don't know that I can add anything really, but I'm commenting nonetheless. I think there's a line (like with everything) and you have to figure out what that is. For me, I try to keep my computer time to nap time or bedtime, mainly because I can actually do something without constant interruption. But it doesn't always happen that way - there have been plenty of times when Dylan has been pulling me away from the computer as Preston pounds on the keyboard making it impossible to finish faster.

I think there is definitely value in blogging. I'm with everyone else. It's my way of journaling (which I really am going to get around to printing out one of these days one way or another) and it's also my way of staying in touch with the world. I am closer to many people than I would be otherwise and I find support and advice when I need it. It also helps me find my sanity because like others have said, this motherhood business is not easy. It's like anything else...moderation in all things. You find time for much more than the computer every day. There are literally people that go to work and then come home and spend every second on the computer and never spend time with their spouse or children...that's what he's talking about.

Kathryn-nannygoat said...

It's a tricky balance isn't it! I have to re-evaluate OFTEN. For me Facebook has fallen by the wayside more because most of my interactions on it were just silly but I still like having it there for getting intouch with people when I need to.
I love my blogs. One is our family journal and the other is my sanity. Again, hard to keep a balance but I've been praying A LOT to know what I need to do personally.
I'm going to listen to Elder Bednars talk again today.

JZM said...

Oh, Tiffany, I am totally in the same boat. I'm not going to make this a long comment... I'll just email you later--;). I feel your pain... it's hard to know where to draw the line... Am I being selfish, or am I merely keeping my sanity and being a good friend? The other day my daughter told me she wasn't ready to be a mom yet. "Why?" I asked out of curiousity. (She is 4, after all!) "Because I don't know how to type yet." Ouch.

Angie said...

I love this post, I too have a hard time balancing everything in today's world. I feel like blogging is benifical because it is like a Journal and since I am really really bad at journaling I feel like blogging takes it's place. So in my effort to balance out things I had to stop the facebook thing, don't get me wrong it is a great way to stay in touch and I still get on every few weeks or so, but for me Blogs are the GREAT! I think you are doing a great job balancing your life so I don't think you need to worry about it, but I do understand where you are coming from.

Christy said...

WOW! It is amazing that you and the 11 other comments made have had similar feelings. I put myself in the same boat. I'm not a facebook addict...I can take it or leave it. It is fun to check in on occasionally but, I do not feel drawn to it. BUT blogging and staying connected with good people, and good friends that I can relate to, feel inspired by, be uplifted by, feel comradeship with...that's a gift. And really...it takes up less time than a personal visit would in all reality. Not that personal visits aren't important to balanc in but...you know what I'm saying. You are actually saving time through blogs, right? Love ya!