

So the 23rd marks what would have been my Dad's 56th birthday. Crazy!!! Weird to think he has almost been gone for 9 years. For those of you who didn't know him, here's a little background.
He was born April 23, 1953 in Preston, Idaho. He was the 3rd of nine children...5 boys and 4 girls. In high school, he was an SBO, was in a rock band, and had long hair for Morgan, Utah (everyone else there was a cowboy). He met my mom while they were both attending LDS Business College, they dated for a while, and got engaged. He then decided to serve an LDS mission and was called to serve in Fiji. Kinda funny for someone who was extremely picky with food and hated the heat :) He loved the people and learned to really love the food. On special occasions he'd make us Taro which is kind of like a potato...SO good, and some other stuff I wasn't quite as fond of. When he returned home, and another year, he married my mom in the Salt Lake Temple. I was born 9 months and 5 days later...a
nd I was 5 days late ;)
He worked so hard his whole life, but spent most of my childhood working for Logan City Light & Power, eventually working his way up to a management position. He held several callings, including Elder's Quorum President, and Ward Clerk.
In June of 1999, he was diagnosed with Leukemia. He was hospitalized in October
He loved yard work...he had the most beautiful yards, he wrote music and loved to play the piano, organ and guitar...drums too but I never got to hear him on those. He was a quiet guy that didn't like to be in the limelight (I know I know...where did I come from hahaha!), but he loved being with his family. He was a Trekkie, a fantasy book fanatic (he loved Lord of the Rings and just missed the movies coming out), and had a very strong testimony.
I wish many times that my dad could know me now rather than the headstrong teenager that I was when he left, but hopefully he's allowed little visits to check in now and again so he can be reassured that I FINALLY grew up...a little :). I think every little girl wants to know her daddy is proud of her, and I don't think that's something I've ever outgrown.
I know he would have been an amazing grandpa, and I know my kids would have adored him. I kinda giggle when I think about the stories him and Zerin would have come up with, and how Liah would have had him wrapped around her pinky finger, and how Aeden would have had him constantly laughing, and how Asher would have been his little buddy.

4 comments:
What a nice tribute to your dad. It sounds like he was a wonderful man. You look alot like him, but seem to be a good mix of him & your mom. What a bummer that he missed LOTR!!! I love those movies!
Thanks for sharing these awesome facts about your dad. I'm sure you miss him something fierce and I'm sorry :(. But thank you for the reminder to not take things for granted... I just got off the phone with my dad and I'm extra grateful now! (((((((hugs)))))))
Tiffany,
What a wonderful tribute to a Dad who loved you so much.....
Your wish is already granted---Dad does know you as the wonderful woman you have become. He brims with pride when he watches how you and Bryan seek the help from your Heavenly Father in raising such awesome kids.
Remember, just like you are no longer a "teenager", Dad is now blessed with a "more that a mere mortal" mind.....and his wish for his oldest child that he held what seems like just yesterday when she was brought home from the hospital has been fulfulled....you are a daughter to be proud of...
Sometimes parents are a little too mortal while we walk the path of life, but one thing I know---he thanked Heavenly Father often for each of his children and for the blessing they were then (and still are) in his life......
Thank you for being exactly you...
Love,
Mom
Tiff~
Thank you so much for sharing! It sounds like he was a wonderful man! :)
Post a Comment